[dev] [cvs] commit: framework/Group/Group ldap.php

Ben Chavet ben at horde.org
Thu Jun 23 12:13:48 PDT 2005

> A (perhaps) more eloquent way of handling the next uid/gid numbering is to
> create an objectclass (posixconfig) and store a nextuid and nextuid attribute
> and value in them.  When a new account is created, update the nextuid by one,
> same for a new group and before creating a new user/group, lookup the
> value for
> nextuid/nextgid.  This would be analogous to the way the horde_*_seq tables
> work in SQL databases.  This way you ensure that you don't reuse uid/gid
> numbers (just a personal preference of mine).

I thought of that, too.  But not everybody would have an entry to store
those values, and I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to add
values to a directory that weren't directly requested.  I figured that
this method would at least work as a default behaviour, but could be
overridden with a hook, simular to how the ldap auth class works.

I'm certainly open to discussion on this, though.
> I haven't tested your code at work yet, just have it installed at home with a
> small two account setup.  It works well there. :)

Good to hear :)

--Ben