[dev] Module for Mail Administration

Xavier Perseguers pub at perseguers.ch
Fri Sep 2 02:18:40 PDT 2005

Hello,

After having used Vilma a few days, I found it lacked features I wanted
and was not similar enough to the mysql backend I designed for my
postfix smtp server. Hence I started my own module, Mad. It was both to
address this lack of features and to deep into the Horde framework.

I don't know whether it may be interesting to other mail administrators...

Features :

- support limit of mailboxes/domain
- support limit of aliases (forwards)/domain
- support multiple destinations for aliases
- support multiple administrators for domains (both local administrators
= accounts in the current domain, and extern admins = accounts in other
domains). The idea is to allow users to administer all their domains
with only one username+password (their email address) and not multiple
accounts such as postmaster at domain1.tld, postmaster at domain2.tld, ...
- support quota for domain and/or mailbox
- support "use greylisting" flag to be used by postgrey or any other
greylisting daemon
- user may change his own password
- support creation of domain/mailbox structure in LDAP for storing
addressbooks used by Turba
- Users have access limited to their own addressbook + shared
addressbook in Turba with access with mail clients such as Thunderbird.
As such, a ldap user+password must be used. Mad automatically
synchronizes user password for postfix & Cie with the ldap password

What is not yet available :

- physical creation of 'maildir' structure
- support of a 'deleted' flag to first move deleted items to a "recycle bin"
- support for mailing list (e.g., mailman)
- support for vacation (I must first look at vacation module as I do not
want to reinvent the wheel)
- integration of external stats such as awstats or mrtg graphs
- export/import structure (domains/mailboxes/aliases)

Xavier Perseguers