[dev] Module for Mail Administration

Xavier Perseguers pub at perseguers.ch
Sat Sep 3 00:13:09 PDT 2005

>>After having used Vilma a few days, I found it lacked features I wanted
>>and was not similar enough to the mysql backend I designed for my
>>postfix smtp server. Hence I started my own module, Mad. It was both to
>>address this lack of features and to deep into the Horde framework.
>
> Why not make it a different backend for Vilma, though? And if
> necessary, make Vilma more flexible. That's more of the Horde way.
>
> If you're willing to work towards that I'm sure patches to Vilma would
> be welcome and if you make a habit of it, you'll get CVS access to it.

I know I should have done patches instead but I wanted something that
was different in the mind. In Vilma, accounts are created and one
forward must be set at least for each user account. That is the classic,
but - to me - old way of dealing with email. I didn't want that and use
the email address instead. I wanted quota support for both domains and
mailboxes, I wanted to create LDAP structure for Turba address books, I
wanted greylisting support and so on. And after all I wanted these
modifications and I tought it would require many patches. As Vilma
seemed to be somehow 'freezed' in the features, I thought it would be
easier for me to rewrite a module on my own.

> Otherwise I guess you should post your code, a demo, or both, and see
> if it interests folks?

I don't have time yet to set up a free demo but my code is available to
interested persons at

http://www.skutale.ch/mad/

There is instructions for installation and a few screenshots.

Xavier Perseguers