[dev] AJAX good use...

Marc Jauvin marc at r4l.com
Wed Sep 28 12:49:22 PDT 2005

I would say that's a very acurate analyse! I'm really happy with horde,
and not
planning to move to any other platform... But, I do think there is some nice
AJAX use that could eventually be incorporated in Horde.

For exemple, having the Message List automatically update in the
background with
AJAX would be one of those use... we don't have to go nuts about AJAX,
but there
is certainly a few places that could use it (in order to avoid unnecessary
refresh of the WHOLE webpage).

Thanks.

"Kevin M. Myer" <kevin_myer at iu13.org> wrote:

> Quoting Marc Jauvin <marc at r4l.com>:
>
>> I'm not whining, just mentioning it so that others might take ideas/technics
>> from this...
>
> They include much more of the underlying architecture than what Horde
> intends to
> do (think more of Horde + Kolab, except with Horde/Kolab, you can have one
> without the other, but they compliment each other if you have them
> both). Zimbra's got an embedded MTA, message store, MySQL server, LDAP
> server, along
> with clustering support, etc, run through Tomcat.  So all in all, its a much
> "heavier" package than Horde.  Concepts for their mail app seem to have been
> borrowed from Gmail (or did Google borrow them from Zimbra? :)  Looks like a
> nice integrated package, if you believe everything should be integrated
> in that
> manner, and if you need a dropin replacement for something else.  If you have
> existing mail infrastructure, I'd not jettison it just yet, though :)
>
> Kevin
>
> --
> Kevin M. Myer
> Senior Systems Administrator