[dev] page display speed under IE in HEAD

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Sat Oct 29 01:16:32 PDT 2005

Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org> rašė:

> Quoting Vilius?umskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:
>
>> The only two applications I found working as fast as before are passwd
>> and sesha.
>>
>> Could it be that the problem is new tooltip implementation with hidden
>> iframes? (there are no tooltips in passwd and sesha).
>
> Could be. Can you experiment a bit with both removing the horde.js file
> and simply not using it, and report back?

I spent experimenting with JS files in Horde half a day and this is
what I've found. Generally almost every file that is passed through
javascript.php is not cached. And this results in a drop of speed,
especially for such large files as horde.js which is loaded on every
page.

When horde.js file (with my modifications to not contain PHP code) is
accessed directly, mnemo task list is loaded in 0.2 second. And when
through javascript.php - 1.15 second.

Even when I remove PHP specific code from horde.js and pass it through
javascript.php, I get the same 1.07-1.21 seconds.

Also I tried Michaels solution from CVS a couple of days ago (with two
.js files one for IE and one for other browsers), and it performed much
better.

There are couple solutions that came to my mind:
1) Make an exception for horde.js in javascript.php and cache it.
2) Get rid of javascript.php and make all js objects static just like
you did with css.
4) Don't sacrifice speed for tiny UI bugs. Personally I could live with
old tooltip implementation.

--
  Pagarbiai,

  Vilius Šumskas