[dev] page display speed under IE in HEAD

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sat Oct 29 09:13:23 PDT 2005

Zitat von Vilius Šumskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:

> Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org> rašė:
>
>> Quoting Vilius?umskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:
>>
>>> The only two applications I found working as fast as before are passwd
>>> and sesha.
>>>
>>> Could it be that the problem is new tooltip implementation with hidden
>>> iframes? (there are no tooltips in passwd and sesha).
>>
>> Could be. Can you experiment a bit with both removing the horde.js file
>> and simply not using it, and report back?
>
> I spent experimenting with JS files in Horde half a day and this is
> what I've found. Generally almost every file that is passed through
> javascript.php is not cached. And this results in a drop of speed,
> especially for such large files as horde.js which is loaded on every
> page.
>
> When horde.js file (with my modifications to not contain PHP code) is
> accessed directly, mnemo task list is loaded in 0.2 second. And when
> through javascript.php - 1.15 second.
>
> Even when I remove PHP specific code from horde.js and pass it through
> javascript.php, I get the same 1.07-1.21 seconds.
>
> Also I tried Michaels solution from CVS a couple of days ago (with two
> .js files one for IE and one for other browsers), and it performed much
> better.
>
> There are couple solutions that came to my mind:
> 1) Make an exception for horde.js in javascript.php and cache it.
> 2) Get rid of javascript.php and make all js objects static just like
> you did with css.
> 4) Don't sacrifice speed for tiny UI bugs. Personally I could live with
> old tooltip implementation.

Here is some more feedback from a client today, who experienced similar
problems:

This could very well be it. I have set a tail on apache access log
yesterday and today. I
came to a caching problem myself, noticed that asked for much more
items for a page, and
was planning to go to an office tomorrow to experiment with the IE
cache settings.

Another thing I noticed is that a manual refresh(by click on f.e. Inbox
in the menu or
the refresh button) results in only a few lines in access log while an
automatic refresh
by the system generates much more traffic. The latter in both Firefox and IE.
This might also be something to look into further. I mean, when 200
users keep their
inbox open all day there are 200 automatic refreshes generated per 5
minutes. That's
about one per 1,5 seconds.

Since the load average on our server exceeds 3.0 on a regular basis at
the moment(from
what I read that's about the maximum one should ask from a server) and
the fact that last
week the server crashed two times, needing a restart, question is
ofcourse: What can we
do on short term to avoid the JS problems. Is there anything we can
(temporarily) change
to settings to improve performance?

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/