[dev] [imp] Searching an IMAP mail store with Imp [SOLVED]

Marc Jauvin marc at r4l.com
Thu Nov 3 12:02:47 PST 2005

Michael, where did you get this Information? I checked the RFCs, and I
found this (ref. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2060.txt):

6.4.4.  SEARCH Command

   Arguments:  OPTIONAL [CHARSET] specification
               searching criteria (one or more)

   Result:     OK - search completed
               NO - search error: can't search that [CHARSET] or
                    criteria
               BAD - command unknown or arguments invalid

But I don't see the "BADCHARSET" error.

--marc

Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at mail.curecanti.org> wrote:

> Quoting "Kevin M. Myer" <kevin_myer at iu13.org>:
>
>> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at mail.curecanti.org>:

>>> Is there a way to determine this via the 'capability' command?
>>>

>> I don't think so.  I think the only way to catch it would be to do a
>> search - if the result is NO, it could mean that charset isn't
>> supported.  But a NO also could mean that search criteria isn't
>> supported as well..  If you can think of a simple search with valid
>> criteria, then the results of that search could be used to determine if
>> a given charset is supported or not, otherwise, the results would be
>> ambigious.  Kevin
>
> Try what I just committed (you will need an up-to-date version of both
> IMP and HEAD).  Turns out that the search command MUST output (among
> other items) the phrase 'BADCHARSET' if a search is performed with a
> charset that it does not support.
>
> michael

Marc Jauvin
http://register4less.com