[dev] [imp] Searching an IMAP mail store with Imp

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Fri Nov 4 15:58:26 PST 2005

> From: Marc Jauvin <marc at r4l.com>
> Subject: Re: [dev] [imp] Searching an IMAP mail store with Imp
>         [SOLVED]
> To: dev at lists.horde.org
>
> Doh! 8)
>
> Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at mail.curecanti.org> wrote:
>
>> Quoting Marc Jauvin <marc at r4l.com>:
>>
>>> Michael, where did you get this Information? I checked the RFCs, and I
>>> found this (ref. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2060.txt):
>>>
>>> 6.4.4.  SEARCH Command
>>>
>>>   Arguments:  OPTIONAL [CHARSET] specification
>>>               searching criteria (one or more)

>>>   Result:     OK - search completed
>>>               NO - search error: can't search that [CHARSET] or
>>>                    criteria
>>>               BAD - command unknown or arguments invalid
>>>

>>> But I don't see the "BADCHARSET" error.
>>
>> RFC 2060 is obsolete.  RFC 3501 now controls.
>>
>> michael

FYI - Courier IMAP seems to return:
A20 NO UTF-8 character set is not supported

As far as my comments that UTF-8 must be supported, seems I was wrong, only
US-ASCII must be supported.  Also, unless I'm misunderstanding the terms
MUST and SHOULD, the RFC also does not indicate that the server MUST return
'BADCHARSET' - it specifies it SHOULD return BADCHARSET.  The only thing it
MUST return is a tagged NO response...and it seems Courier does not return
BADCHARSET.

What about searching for the NO response and  for either BADCHARSET  - OR -
the text of the charset that we requested?