[dev] Datatree or SQL tables for new app?

Robin Rainton robin at rainton.com
Mon Dec 5 16:50:22 PST 2005

Hi,

A few weeks back I emailed about using Horde to develop a web based logistics
app. Have been playing around since then and think this is possible.

So far I've come up with a design for tables and the like of what will be
required (there's 10 or so to begin) and started to put up a few 'view' pages.
Next come the input forms I guess, but let's not worry about that here. My
question is this:

Is it best to create one's own database tables (I notice there are quiet a few
for hermes for example) or try and cram things into the datatree?

I don't really understand the tree, but do understand tables. However, I'm
guessing the tree has nice permission handling built in that I might need (I
want an admin to be able to update config, and that config to be shared between
a group, and jobs, etc. that that group creates being read only to some other
group or user perhaps).

What is everyone's take on which is the best path?

Thanks,

Robin