[dev] Datatree or SQL tables for new app?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Dec 6 01:25:02 PST 2005

Zitat von Robin Rainton <robin at rainton.com>:

> Is it best to create one's own database tables (I notice there are
> quiet a few
> for hermes for example) or try and cram things into the datatree?

Do not use the DataTree for application data. It would only make sense
if you have hierarchical data anyway. And in this case you should at
least allow to configure a different table for the DataTree systems
used in your application.

> I don't really understand the tree, but do understand tables. However, I'm
> guessing the tree has nice permission handling built in that I might need (I
> want an admin to be able to update config, and that config to be
> shared between
> a group, and jobs, etc. that that group creates being read only to some other
> group or user perhaps).

If you just need permissions, use the Perms API. It organizes
hierarchical user and group ACLs that you bind with an ID to your
application's objects.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/