[dev] cache_msgbody

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at mail.curecanti.org
Fri Jan 13 09:56:50 PST 2006

Quoting Didi Rieder <adrieder at sbox.tugraz.at>:

> Hi,
>
> Is it true that the messagebody cache will be stored in the session,
> like the IMP setup page is stating?
> If yes:
> What speaks against storing it in the horde cache system?

The fact that if the cache system is used, the message bodies may be
cached beyond the current session.  SessionObjects automatically
expire at the end of the session.

After thinking about this for a while (i.e. the time period - year(s)
- since the code was first written) my thoughts on caching message
bodies have changed.  Due to storage concerns, it is now my belief
that IMP should never cache the message body text.  Rather, this
should be the only information we keep on the IMAP server and obtain
as needed.  The benefits of keeping message body text around is not
worth the potential storage/performance usage on the IMP server (i.e.
a situation where a message body is 1MB +).  Or, at least, only cache
message bodies below a certain size - such as < 10 KB - since 95% of
the messages will probably fit in this criteria.  However, I don't
want to make big changes in this handling until we are sure we are on
the path to Horde 4/IMP 5 so this should probably go into the TODO
(although now thinking about it, maybe I will look into limiting the
caching since this could probably be done without too much change).

michael