[dev] backslash in subject being "expanded"?

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Feb 10 17:01:50 PST 2006

Quoting Marc Jauvin <marc at r4l.com>:

> OK, I found it in "framework/MIME/MIME.php":
>
>      function decode($string, $to_charset = null)
>      {
>          return stripslashes(MIME::_decode($string, $to_charset));
>      }
>
> MIME::decode() is being called in imp/mailbox.php (in particular) to
> decode the subject of the emails.
>
> As a test, I've removed the stripslashes() call and it fixes my
> problem. but am thinking it must have been put there for a reason...
>
> Anybody knows a good reason for this?

The only thing I can think of offhand is escaped characters in email
addresses. But that shouldn't be the case for all headers. Here's the
commit where it was added:

http://cvs.horde.org/diff.php/framework/MIME/MIME.php?r1=1.154&r2=1.155&ty=h

No bug id, so... Michael? I'm going to revert this for now.

-chuck

--
"So we're talking near-sonic speeds for a vegetable."
Reasons to go to the Punkin Chunkin World Championships