[dev] Portal layout

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sun Feb 12 11:46:13 PST 2006

Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:

> What about including this 'statistics' block in the list of things to
> display in the menu on the setup page of each application? So if the
> admin only wants it on the portal page, he can choose to not include
> it anywhere else?

If there is a clamor for this that's fine, but I would prefer to have
fewer random config options of this type, not more. Eventually that
sort of thing should be solved by more easily customizable global
templates. Including the abilities to pull in blocks (or whatever we
rename them to) wherever wanted.

> Personally, I would rather not see the layout page nuked...I think
> it's helpful to see the full layout page at one time, with the ability
> to reposition / resize the different blocks.

How about if all of that was dynamically possible on the main view
(again, see http://netvibes.com/)?

I've attached two small pngs showing a small panel with the full name
and the Add Content link in it. These are actually in a container with
the id #menuBottom; it can be positioned right or left, below the
menu, up into the menu, theoretically you could use CSS to always put
it at the bottom of the screen as well. Thoughts? I actually went
ahead and did this in the templates so I can commit it asap.

-chuck

--
"So we're talking near-sonic speeds for a vegetable."
Reasons to go to the Punkin Chunkin World Championships