[dev] Removal of ugly code

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Apr 18 10:09:28 PDT 2006

> With the implementation of the DIMP auto complete contacts code in
> HEAD, I am thinking it is probably safe for us to remove the Expand
> Names links completely.  It doesn't do anything that the auto-complete
> already does, and it can't be used as a fallback for non-JS browsers
> since it requires JS itself.

I agree it'd be great to get rid of that codepath, but I'm not seeing
where it relies on javascript. And if it's the only address handling
option for non-js browsers/users, I think it pretty much has to stay.

> I'd like to move over the spell checking from DIMP also - and once we
> do that, I think we can get rid of the terribly ugly current spelling
> code.  Once again, spellcheck already doesn't work for non-JS browsers
> so we are not losing anything.  And anyway, I think these are kind of
> "value-added" JS features anyway - meaning they are useful if JS is
> available, but they are not required elements for us to implement for
> non-JS browsers.  Just way too much code maintenance (and ugliness)
> for the handful of people that still aren't using a reasonably recent
> browser version.

For spell checking, the current version is definitely ugly, relies at
least someone on JS, and I'm okay with spellcheck being a javascript
feature. Expanding contacts seems more centrally critical to me.

Other comments?

-chuck