[dev] Horde boot CD

Arthur Huillet arthur.huillet at free.fr
Mon Apr 24 12:22:25 PDT 2006

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:50:04 -0400
Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org> wrote:

> Mainly it's for demos - someone can just take the CD and boot a
> working system to try out, instead of having to go through the install
> process, get PHP configured correctly, etc.

I see. This requires quite a lot of autoconfiguration, which I happen to be
interested in and to know a bit about.
I'll try to dive a bit into Horde in order to get an idea of what demos have to
be supported.
By the way, I wouldn't be writing these demos. I can provide you with a working
bootable setup, not probably with a commercial demo as I think you want.

> Yes, exactly. Plus a database, and the apps should be pre-configured
> for the built-in db, probably a mail server as well, SMTP, ...

I think I'd base myself on Slackware/Slax (I know those very well), and also
integrate the hwdetect program which is found on some distros.
DHCP client, X autoconfiguration, MySQL, Apache, PHP, Horde, Postfix, ...

> the Horde bits would
> just be copied over verbatim from the CD.

A small shell script would do it, I think.