[dev] Remove multi-column portal blocks?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sat Apr 29 01:31:19 PDT 2006

>> There's also the weather block that usually takes at least two
>> columns.
>
> I find it interesting that both you and Rick said this, since I use
> the weather block and have it in just one column, and have been quite
> happy with that arrangement.

A reason could be, at least for me, that German tends to have much
longer words than English. If I would have to put the weather block in
one column, I probably wouldn't get more than two columns in the
portal, currently I get three. Now, *that* is wasted space (for all
the other blocks), at least for me personally.

>> I use two-column blocks all the time and would really miss them, personally.
>
> I know it's a nice feature; however my analysis is that it's worth it
> for the other gains. I don't have a sense if you don't think the gains
> (no wasted space, easy to add drag&drop) are worth it.

I thought about that earlier a few times, and my thoughts always got
stuck in that dilemma. I think the possibility to expand and shrink
blocks is what it makes Horde's portal superiour to others. You can
create much more flexible layouts. On the other hand, having
maintained the portal block code a few times in the past, I know what
a pita the code is. And it's definately not the most user friendly
interface either.

Conclusion: I really can't say which side is gaining more and worth it
to drop the other.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/