[dev] Turba Import Bugs, Troll (inline) MIME support

alakani@alakani.org alakani at alakani.org
Fri May 19 21:09:58 PDT 2006

Heya!

I'd love to see the following in Turba and Troll (the stuff for Troll is
easy):

- The ability to properly import a vCard file as exported by Apple's
Address Book.  Address Book has a number of fields out of the box that are
either not present and thus ignored by Turba, or are parsed incorrectly.
I believe Address Book's vCards are within the specs of vCard 3.0, as
defined in http://www.imc.org/rfc2425 and http://www.imc.org/rfc2426 .

Of notable example, some of the more important things:

- Addresses are not imported:

item3.ADR;type=HOME;type=pref:;;340 Logan Creek Rd.\n;Boulder
Creek;CA;95006;United States

item4.ADR;type=WORK:;;384 W. Caribbean Dr.;Sunnyvale;CA;94089;USA

- Address Book incorporates 'Department' into the ORG field, such as:

ORG:WeirdStuff Warehouse;Sales

- Some useful fields in Address Book are ignored:

NICKNAME:alakani

BDAY;value=date:1985-07-28

X-AIM;type=HOME;type=pref:phaserzen

(and more)

I would also enjoy the ability to add custom fields and the ability to
show/hide fields, or the ability to -- if custom fields are dynamically
created on import of an Address Book vCard, the ability to choose which
fields to ignore.  Maybe the ability to do ask the user what to do with
unknown data on import?  Address Book also BASE64 encodes a small
icon/picture if one is present in AB, the ability to import, store, and
display these would be neato, as well as reverse support (add pictures in
Turba, and encode and include them on export).

In Troll, I'd love to see the option to decode MIME attachements, and the
option to display images inline.  This code is already complete, and can
be reused from IMP.

Thanks!
Justin