[dev] ATTENDEE and iCalendar imports

Karsten Fourmont fourmont at gmx.de
Sun May 28 00:39:27 PDT 2006

Jan Schneider wrote:
> For meeting planning you have one single organizer. This organizer can
> change the meeting details and sent invitation updates to the attendees.
> If an attendee would import the other attendees from the invitation
> while he adds the event from the invitation to his calendar, and then
> changes his personal event copy at a later point, the other attendees
> would get invitation updates from him.
> This would cause a lot confusion at best, and can mess up the attendees'
> calendars at worst.

Agreed. However For SyncML replication the situation is somewhat
special:  the data gets replicated from one calendar owned by me (in
horde) to another one owned by me (my PDA). So I'd like to have the
attendee information on both: If i create a meeting with my PDA while
with a customer I want to "finish" this later using Horde.
So as workaround I'll rename ATTENDEE to X-ATTENDEE for the _import_
part.  The SyncML module converts incoming ATTENDEEs to X-ATTENDEEs so
it works just in this special case. OK?

Two more observations about invitations and attendees:

1) rfc2445 provides the "ORGANIZER" attribute for just that. Currently
we always set it to the current user when exporting an event. Maybe we
should store the organizer for an event? Only this organizer would sent
invitation/updates. Then we could import attendees without the confusion
issues.

2) While at it: shouldn't we keep the real name of the attendees in
addition to their email addresses? For me that's one of the big
advantages of this attendee thing: having the names of the people you're
going to meet at hand.

Cheers,
  Karsten