[dev] Progress of the Live CD project

Soumyadip Modak soumyadip.modak at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 10:10:09 PDT 2006

I have tested out Ubuntu Dapper Live CD, Knoppix and Morphix. Of the 3, I've
decided to use Morphix. This is because Morphix was designed as a base
system for custom live cds. Presently I've a basic live-cd up and running,
but I'm facing some problems getting mysql and apache to run from the live
cd. The daemons are not being started at boot time, so Horde is unusable.
Once I start up the daemons, I'm able to use Horde.

I'm talking to a guy Sayamindu Dasgupta, who has made the Koha Live CD. He's
written a custom script to trigger the daemons once the live cd has booted,
for Koha live cd. I'm working with him to adapt his script for my Live CD. I
expect to post a link to download the Live CD by next Saturday.

It is a little embarrassing for me to keep pushing back the release date for
an alpha live cd iso, but I'm sorry I've been running into stonewalls quite
frequently. Possibly my inexperience.

Jan, thanks for the words of encouragement. Thanks a ton too to all the
people on IRC who've helped me so far.

I still have not mastered the art of setting up Horde and the Groupware
modules securely. I'll request the gurus to please point out the changes I
should be making to the Horde configuration to lock it down as much as is
required.

But first I'll upload the alpha Live CD somewhere. :)
--
Soumyadip Modak
soumyadip.modak at gmail.com
soumyadip at ubuntu-in.org