[dev] [cvs] commit: imp folders.php imp/lib/Block summary.php

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Jan 8 09:32:53 PST 2007

>> jan         2007-01-08 08:44:40 PST
>>
>>  Modified files:
>>    .                    folders.php
>>    lib/Block            summary.php
>>  Log:
>>  Reset RECENT flags in folder views too.
>>
>>  Revision  Changes    Path
>>  2.399     +10 -1     imp/folders.php
>>  1.84      +10 -1     imp/lib/Block/summary.php
>
> I don't think I agree with these, and it is why I purposely did not
> add the reset code to these files.
>
> I think that the new mail notification for a folder should only be
> refreshed when a user enters that folder and has an opportunity to
> read those messages.  If, for example, you are on the folder screen,
> you may have 5 folders with new mail.  You click on one of those
> folders, read the messages you want to, and go back to the folders
> screen.  With these changes, however, that notification no longer
> occurs.  Now there is no way to tell what other 4 folders contain
> "new" mail (as opposed to messages flagged unseen).

This is true, but it's also how any desktop client works. I find it
extremely annoying to hear my laptop jingling for hours while I'm in
the next room, until I go there to open the folder with new mails,
only to jingle again as soon as another mail arrives.
I think people expect - and so do I - to be notified about new
messages as they arrive.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/