[dev] [cvs] commit: imp folders.php imp/lib/Block summary.php

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Jan 8 12:03:58 PST 2007

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> jan         2007-01-08 08:44:40 PST
>>>
>>> Modified files:
>>>   .                    folders.php
>>>   lib/Block            summary.php
>>> Log:
>>> Reset RECENT flags in folder views too.
>>>
>>> Revision  Changes    Path
>>> 2.399     +10 -1     imp/folders.php
>>> 1.84      +10 -1     imp/lib/Block/summary.php
>>
>> I don't think I agree with these, and it is why I purposely did not
>> add the reset code to these files.
>>
>> I think that the new mail notification for a folder should only be
>> refreshed when a user enters that folder and has an opportunity to
>> read those messages.  If, for example, you are on the folder
>> screen, you may have 5 folders with new mail.  You click on one of
>> those folders, read the messages you want to, and go back to the
>> folders screen.  With these changes, however, that notification no
>> longer occurs.  Now there is no way to tell what other 4 folders
>> contain "new" mail (as opposed to messages flagged unseen).
>
> This is true, but it's also how any desktop client works. I find it
> extremely annoying to hear my laptop jingling for hours while I'm in
> the next room, until I go there to open the folder with new mails,
> only to jingle again as soon as another mail arrives.
> I think people expect - and so do I - to be notified about new
> messages as they arrive.

It sounds like we have two different expectations of usage here.  You
don't want new messages to continually pile up - instead, you want an
instant snapshot of what has changes since the last server request.
I, on the other hand, find the accumulation of new messages to be a
great feature - I *want* to be able to leave the folders screen open
so that when I come back to my computer an hour and a half from now, I
can see exactly how many messages I have never seen before are waiting
for me.  I don't find it useful in this instance to know how many
messages have arrived in the past X minutes - I want to know how many
messages have arrived in my mailboxes that I have never seen.

Since I think both expectations are valid, this seems to me to be
screaming "preference".

michael