[dev] Objects extending contacts (e.g. Roles)

Nils Kaiser NilsKaiser at gmx.net
Fri Feb 23 04:47:18 PST 2007

Hello everybody,

I am investigating using horde to build a database for a volunteer
organization. The central functionality is managing seminarees and the
different members of the organization. We have a lot of different roles
and the functionality depends on storing more data for these different
user types. A user can have different roles, and all users should be in
the central address book. The information should be stored in different
tables linked by the user id.

How is such an extension best written in horde? I am pretty sure someone
has already written an application that needs to extend the user base
with some kind of roles.

The functionality implies some changes on user creation. I need to
create the user first (the turba object), and then add my own data in
the different table). Of course if only the role is added for an
existing user I only add the new fields. It would be nice to use the
forms from turba directly, but I don't know how to achieve this.

Can I add the functionality by adding a new module that extends the
turba functionality or will I have to patch turba? I would prefer the
first solution to benefit from further turba development without the
merging overhead. I am pretty sure I will have to extend turba anyway,
but it would be nice if I can keep the extra functionality outside of it.

Any toughts on this, or even code?

Thx,

Nils