[dev] Objects extending contacts (e.g. Roles)

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Feb 23 15:00:11 PST 2007

Quoting Nils Kaiser <NilsKaiser at gmx.net>:

> How is such an extension best written in horde? I am pretty sure
> someone has already written an application that needs to extend the
> user base with some kind of roles.

I think your idea to use an "extension" of Turba is right. You can use
the Turba API methods to get users, use the user id as the key, and
then manage the other data directly in your application. Should be
pretty straightforward, from Turba's perspective anyway.

> The functionality implies some changes on user creation. I need to
> create the user first (the turba object), and then add my own data
> in the different table). Of course if only the role is added for an
> existing user I only add the new fields. It would be nice to use the
> forms from turba directly, but I don't know how to achieve this.

That's probably not possible currently, but since Turba uses
Horde_Form, you could generate the same forms pretty easily by reading
the source map and attribute configs.

-chuck