[dev] OpenId

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Mon Apr 9 01:19:32 UTC 2007

Quoting Martin Fraser <mdf at darksnow.net>:

> Has anyone thought about adding OpenId into the Horde system, either as
> a client for single sign on logins or the server itself, or both?

Yup, I've thought about both. :) I'd be all for it.

> My problem was that I wanted to use an LDAP auth backend, but why not
> use Horde_Auth instead and authenticate against whatever Horde is using.

Sounds great. FWIW, here are the contents of the running OpenID note
I've been keeping:

"OpenID

http://journals.aol.com/panzerjohn/abstractioneer/entries/2007/02/15/aol-and-openid-where-we-are/1406

http://www.openidenabled.com/openid/libraries/php

I've been trying to compose a detailed email about this, but the short
answer is no, and I (coincidentally) was just looking at this last night.

I dug through the JanRain code quite a bit, and it's a bit bloated and
sloppy, but I think that's just a side-effect of the library having been
ported to a number of different languages, and clearly PHP wasn't the
original.

You might also be interested in Wez's much simpler code:

http://netevil.org/node.php?nid=949

Unless you're in an environment where you can apply his patch, you can
only implement the dumb mode (or do all of that big number math in PHP,
which seems wasteful and error-prone). I was hoping the JanRain library
would just work, since Wez's patch won't be an option for most people
until the next public release of PHP."

> P.S. I'm still thinking about expanding my upgrade thing to do a full
> CVS install and general configuration.

I haven't looked at the script in detail yet, but I'd love to see this
work on packages, using pear.horde.org for installing what we can, and
packaging more things to make it work...

-chuck