[dev] Ansel Tags

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sat May 12 01:16:04 UTC 2007

Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:

> Except that the tags that you already have choosen are not shown in
> the related tags box...for instance I am browsing tags "birthday"
> and  "fun".  I have an image tagged with both "birthday" and "fun"
> so I see  that image. My friend has a image tagged with "birthday",
> "fun" and  "naked" (thankfully this image is private).  In the
> related tags  element, I would be shown only "naked" since I have
> already browsed to  the "birthday" and "fun" images.

Oh, okay. I think I get it now.

> Anyway, I have already "fixed" this by checking the number of hits
> each related tag would return - and that check DOES take into
> account  permissions...but as I said in my commit message, it could
> be a little  more resource intensive due to the extra queries...

Sounds a -lot- more resource intensive. Perhaps related tags should be
an optional feature? Sounds like the permissions checks should also be
cached where possible. I think we need a concept of permission atoms,
that can be individually cached and arbitrarily combined. But that's
definitely a Horde 4/roles item.

How about for now you turn related tags off by default (since you
should still be able to browse other images with the same tags - the
related part is nice, but not essential), and we'll try and get this
stable for a 1.0 release with Horde 3.2.

-chuck