[dev] Ansel Tags

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sat May 12 20:43:14 UTC 2007

Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:

> So, just to walk through the process *without* related tags - since
> there would be no way to narrow the tag search, or "browse down' if
> you will, we'd have to add a 'view similar images' link (in addition
>  to the individual tag links) to the image and gallery views. So,
> we'd  be able to view both 1) all resources that match a single tag
> or 2)  all the tags the resource is tagged with.

I guess I don't see the "view similar" bit as essential, but I might
be misunderstanding. Either way sounds okay, and I really just need to
sit down and click through Ansel for a while to figure this out for
myself.

> The permissions problem also expresses itself with the tag cloud.
> Since there is no way of knowing if the resources that are tagged
> with  each tagged are viewable by the current user (witout checking
> *every*  tagged resource) it's possible to be shown tags in the
> cloud that  would result in no viewable images on the results page.
> I think this  one we will either have to live with, or just do
> without the cloud all  together as I don't see any way of fixing
> that with the current  permission code.

I think it's fine for the tag cloud to include tags that you might not
be able to see any images for.

>> cached where possible. I think we need a concept of permission atoms,
>> that can be individually cached and arbitrarily combined. But that's
>> definitely a Horde 4/roles item.
>
> This sounds interesting. Out of curiosity, how would that help in a
> case like this?  We'd still need to check the indivdidual
> permissions  of each gallery that contains images that are tagged
> with our search  tags....

Right, but if those permissions were already calculated, you could
also cache combinations of them, or do the combinations very quickly.

> Cool! A 1.0 for Ansel!

Yup, I think it's generally complete enough and should be one of the
FW_3_2 apps.

-chuck