[dev] Jonah and Tags

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Tue Jun 26 16:13:04 UTC 2007

> Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:
>
>> I'm <slowly> adding tag functionality to Jonah, and wanted to get
>> opinions from everyone.  Personally, I don't see the need for the
>> same  type of directory-like browsing for tags we have in Ansel to
>> be  present in Jonah.  I feel the use of tags would be different for
>> news than it would be for images, or even bookmarks.
>>
>> I'm thinking of just a simple interface that displayed tags at the
>> bottom of each article, with each tag a link that will display a
>> list  of other articles that are tagged similarly.  Slightly easier
>> to  implement, as well as a smaller performance footprint for the db.
>>
>> ...or do others feel the directory-style browsing like we have in
>> Ansel would be suited for Jonah as well?
>
> I guess I haven't tagged enough of my photos in Ansel to really get
> the difference. What you're saying is you don't want to do the
> multi-level tag browsing?

Exactly. Instead of being able to drill down, I'm proposing just
allowing the 'top level' to be displayed.

> I think we definitely need to be able to show a list of tags with # of
> articles, and to look at the lists of articles tagged with (whatever).

Yep.

1) Each article would have the list of tags it's tagged with -
following a single tag link would lead to the list of articles that
are also tagged with <whatever>.

2) We can also add a tag cloud to show the entire list of tags. I was
thinking a block to show tags across all readable internal channels -
and a smaller cloud on the article view to show tags available within
only that channel.  An alternative instead of the cloud would be a
more traditional list, with number of articles after the tag.

...all just thoughts at the moment. More than happy to do the whole
navigation thing, I just wasn't sure of the usefulness in this case.

Thanks,
mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)