[dev] oscar and VFS direct stuff

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Sep 12 09:27:02 UTC 2007

Zitat von Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:

> Been spending time with the Oscar code and started working on
> getting  it to an actual VFS implementation. After some discussion
> on the list,  I thought it was do-able, but it doesn't look like
> it's going to be  very practical....let me explain:
>
> To allow the use of an arbitrary VFS backend, we need a way of
> obtaining a URL to the flv file.  I implemented that similar to how
> Ansel does it - as Jan had helped me understand.  While it is
> possible  to get a URL that will return the raw video data - it
> *totally*  bypasses the plugin's ability to work with the
> mod_flv_streaming  module (in lighttpd - not sure what it's called
> in apache) because we  are no longer requesting a ".flv" extension
> according to the server  (not to mention we are reading the entire
> video file into a string and  *then* writing it out to the client)
> This will also make it  impossible to use (lighttpd's)
> mod_secdownload for preventing  direct-linking etc...
>
> Given all of that, I think we need to only allow a file-based
> storage  outside of the webroot, and either aliased or accessed
> using something  like mod_secdownload
> (which does the aliasing for you).  We just need to make it a
> seperate  config parameter inside oscar - not tied at all to the
> global VFS  config like it is now.

Give that this is a very special case, and most people won't use
lighttpd, let alone some special FLV modules, it doesn't make sense to
code Oscar with such a configuration in mind.
With VFS implemented like in Ansel, people can still use lighty's flv
features if they want the, but the module should be easy to setup and
run for everybody. The alias in Ansel was only introduced for
performance reasons too and most people just don't need and thus won't
use it.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/