[dev] oscar and VFS direct stuff

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Wed Sep 12 13:39:25 UTC 2007

> Zitat von Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:
>
>> Been spending time with the Oscar code and started working on
>> getting  it to an actual VFS implementation. After some discussion
>> on the list,  I thought it was do-able, but it doesn't look like
>> it's going to be  very practical....let me explain:
>>
>> To allow the use of an arbitrary VFS backend, we need a way of
>> obtaining a URL to the flv file.  I implemented that similar to how
>> Ansel does it - as Jan had helped me understand.  While it is
>> possible  to get a URL that will return the raw video data - it
>> *totally*  bypasses the plugin's ability to work with the
>> mod_flv_streaming  module (in lighttpd - not sure what it's called
>> in apache) because we  are no longer requesting a ".flv" extension
>> according to the server  (not to mention we are reading the entire
>> video file into a string and  *then* writing it out to the client)
>> This will also make it  impossible to use (lighttpd's)
>> mod_secdownload for preventing  direct-linking etc...
>>
>> Given all of that, I think we need to only allow a file-based
>> storage  outside of the webroot, and either aliased or accessed
>> using something  like mod_secdownload
>> (which does the aliasing for you).  We just need to make it a
>> seperate  config parameter inside oscar - not tied at all to the
>> global VFS  config like it is now.
>
> Give that this is a very special case, and most people won't use
> lighttpd, let alone some special FLV modules, it doesn't make sense to
> code Oscar with such a configuration in mind.
> With VFS implemented like in Ansel, people can still use lighty's flv
> features if they want the, but the module should be easy to setup and
> run for everybody.

Understood.  I will continue with the full VFS implementation then,
but as an FYI - writing out the stream via PHP is *much* slower (at
least in my tests) then using the flv module (which is compiled with
lighttpd by default, just need to add 2 lines in config. The module
has been ported to Apache, although admittedly, it's not as easy to
set up).

Thanks again for the input and direction :)

Thanks,
mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)