[dev] [cvs] commit: framework/Image/Image/Decorator watermark.php

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Wed Oct 17 16:18:10 UTC 2007

Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:

> Quoting Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:
>>
>>>  Removed files:
>>>    Image/Image/Decorator watermark.php
>>>  Log:
>>>  watermark is implemented in each concrete class - remove the
>>> Decorator_watermark class
>>
>> The intention was to go the other way here, since watermark is another
>> thing that I don't see being on the same level of line(), circle(),
>> etc...
>
> Wouldn't removing it from the api break bc though?
>
> Plus, (for watermark in particular) the imagick specific code (not
> commited yet but basically the same idea as described on Mikko's
> blog) would be more resource intensive if we had to do it all
> through  Horde_Image calls, as it would require creating seperate
> Horde_Images,  then composing them together...not that it couldn't
> be done but...
>
> Driver specific decorators with maybe a decorator factory method in
> the concrete class might be helpful here - or am I getting too
> complicated (as usual)? :)

...the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced we should do
driver specific decorators (or some other driver specific solution).
There are other 'non-primitive' image operations that would benifit.
For example, to create a drop shadow, im can do it with 1 simple
command, and it's even more efficient with the imagick library.  Not
sure how this would translate into a generic api call without keeping
a shadow method.  Same goes for roundedCorners, which could probably
be done using image primitives, but it would negate the benifits of
having a library like imagick available, which can do it in one simple
call.

Of course, just my .02

Thanks,
mike