[dev] Oscar status

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Mon Oct 22 14:27:24 UTC 2007

> Quoting Duck <duck at obala.net>:
>
>> I installed oscar on my website and after mored then 200 users
>> videos uploaded
>> without any problems. So I can say that my initial Oscar development come to
>> an end. Of course I will fix bugs and apply minor modifications as time will
>> show them but I don't plan to add any new feature for now.
>
> Great!
>
>> In this occasion purpose to promote a little bit more the apps in the
>> incubator and other fancy things that will come with Hrode4. As I
>> can see, on
>> the website, there is no mention of modules in incubator. The only
>> connection
>> is the link to incubator in CVS, which of course provides no direct
>> description of modules. Then on the first horde page we have only some rare
>> blogs entries, and the last news actuarially shows only the last releases
>> announcements that already have their own info blocks. I guess some
>> more info
>> of current development should be promoted. For example news about change log
>> entries and what they perform etc.
>
> I agree. I have a number of todos and saved example sites for
> improving the developer-oriented aspects of www.horde.org and/or
> dev.horde.org, which should include promoting incubator apps as well.

Without knowing what your ideas are, I know a number of us (myself
included) have personal blogs and sites that mention Horde stuff, I'd
like to either see these receive more attention on the horde site, or
maybe even use Thomas as a platform for displaying this type of
stuff...of course, then there's the issue of actually taking the time
to write the entries, but that's a different story ;)

Also, if you need help with any of this... or even need a temporary
place to put some example sites so we can start looking or playing,
just let me know :)

> We're in an interesting position here in that the future of Horde 4
> development (which is essentially what the incubator stuff is) is PHP
> 5.3+, but there's a bunch of PHP 5.2 code now that runs well and that
> you at least are using in production. I don't know if there's an ETA
> on PHP 5.3.0 yet, but how do you feel about the newer code moving that
> way?

Just my .02 here, but I'd be hesitant to make our new code 5.3+ only
at this point...I'd prefer to wait until it has been released and is
more proven, with at least one or two bug-fix releases under it's
belt...plus, as you said, we've got a good number of 5.2 stuff that's
running well.

Thanks,
mike

--