[dev] Ansel / Horde_Image_Effect and image format choice.

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Mon Oct 22 23:39:30 UTC 2007

Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:

> With all the image effect stuff we've been talking about for adding
> "pretty" thumbnails to Ansel, etc... It dawned on me that most of
> what  we are trying to do will really only work if using png as the
> image  format.  Without the transparent background, the jpg images
> would look  horrible.
>
> I suppose we will have to check for the configured image format and
> either use the 'new' stuff, or fall back to what we currently do.
> The  only issue is for existing installations that might for
> whatever  reason have switched from one to the other and thus have a
> mix of  formats already generated. I guess for those, we could
> provide a  script to scrub the vfs of horde-generated images?
>
> Just kinda talking out loud at this point...and hoping for some
> inspiration :)

BTW, I just made some quick changes in Ansel on my dev install to try
thumbnails out, and the im versions of a shadowed, rounded thumbnail
look *very* cool :)

If I get a chance, I'll regenerate a bunch of my thumbnails and put a
screenshot up somewhere if your interested...

Thanks,
mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)