[dev] Jonah vs. Thomas

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Thu Oct 25 13:29:08 UTC 2007

> Zitat von Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:
>
>> Quoting Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:
>>
>>> Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:
>>>
>>> Speaking of all this, what's your take on Jonah vs. Thomas?
>>
>> Well, I think that for a *community* type of blog where you have a
>> group of people contributing regularly then Thomas *might* be a
>> better  choice but, personally, I've been using Jonah to power a
>> number of  blog-like websites and I think that Jonah provides more
>> flexibility  for that type of use, has a more fully featured api
>> etc... I don't  know, I'm thinking that might be a better way to go
>> for us...some  quick thoughts include creating an aggregate feed for
>> all the horde  feeds we currently pull now....create a composite
>> feed that serves as  the 'Official' news - pulling an internal feed
>> from  each of the devs  etc...
>>
>> Of course, some of that depends on how you wanted to present the
>> articles - integrated into our website (my choice) or a link from
>> the  site to a Jonah / Thomas install.
>
> I have to admit I didn't take a closer look at Thomas recently, and I
> the discussion I want to start is not related to the horde website at
> all.
>
> So, I still think that having two feed/news/blog applications doesn't
> make a whole lot of sense. I have spent a lot of time with Jonah but
> IMO it's not worth to work on two feed creators with the limited
> developer resources we have. Assuming that Thomas provides us with the
> feed generation capabilities that Jonah has, or can at least be
> updated easily to be on par with it, how about making Jonah a pure
> feed aggregator and reader?

I'd have to at least partially disagree.  While I agree that there is
some overlap between the two apps, I see Jonah as a more flexible,
customizable application.  With Jonah and it's api, I can maintain
"news" for a number of different websites from the same Horde install.
  These are not necessarily "Blogs".  I can create a different channel
for each website and composite some of those feeds together if needed.
In some ways, I can see it being used as a mini-CMS.  While Thomas is
an excellent choice for maintaining a community Blog, it's a
completely different paradigm.  I think it would be awkward to
implement different feeds like that in a Blog application.

> Obviously we finally need to allow users
> to add and manage their own feeds, but that's a different story.

Agreed. Whichever way we go we should allow creation of both internal
and external feeds per user, maybe adding a creation permission or
similar.

Thanks,
mike

--