[dev] Jonah vs. Thomas

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Oct 25 09:36:21 UTC 2007

Zitat von Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:

> Quoting Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:
>>
>> Speaking of all this, what's your take on Jonah vs. Thomas?
>
> Well, I think that for a *community* type of blog where you have a
> group of people contributing regularly then Thomas *might* be a
> better  choice but, personally, I've been using Jonah to power a
> number of  blog-like websites and I think that Jonah provides more
> flexibility  for that type of use, has a more fully featured api
> etc... I don't  know, I'm thinking that might be a better way to go
> for us...some  quick thoughts include creating an aggregate feed for
> all the horde  feeds we currently pull now....create a composite
> feed that serves as  the 'Official' news - pulling an internal feed
> from  each of the devs  etc...
>
> Of course, some of that depends on how you wanted to present the
> articles - integrated into our website (my choice) or a link from
> the  site to a Jonah / Thomas install.

I have to admit I didn't take a closer look at Thomas recently, and I
the discussion I want to start is not related to the horde website at
all.

So, I still think that having two feed/news/blog applications doesn't
make a whole lot of sense. I have spent a lot of time with Jonah but
IMO it's not worth to work on two feed creators with the limited
developer resources we have. Assuming that Thomas provides us with the
feed generation capabilities that Jonah has, or can at least be
updated easily to be on par with it, how about making Jonah a pure
feed aggregator and reader? Obviously we finally need to allow users
to add and manage their own feeds, but that's a different story.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/