[dev] Jonah vs. Thomas

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Oct 26 02:47:52 UTC 2007

Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:

>> In that case, what do you see as the advantages of Thomas over Jonah?
>
> Well, besides the fact that I'd have to refactor all my websites if
> Jonah no longer served news... ;)

I assume that's an advantage of Jonah, not Thomas. :)

> I think the danger here is in trying to make either of these apps an
>  "all in one" solution for both serving content,
> aggregating/reading,  and blogging.  I agree with your other post
> though about a news reader  being too simple for one app.  I rarely
> read news via Jonah, and when  I do, it's almost always in a
> Horde_Block on my front portal page.
>
> I don't know, maybe I'm using Jonah in a way that it wasn't really
> designed for?

I think you are using it how Jan and I use it, and I think that's the
most flexible/powerful part of feeds and syndicated content.

It sounds like Thomas could be a frontend for Jonah, which would be
fine with me, but it would be nice to have the core blog-like
functionality (trackbacks, tags, etc.) localized in one app. And I'd
personally prefer that to be Jonah.

-chuck