[dev] Jonah vs. Thomas

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Fri Oct 26 15:09:31 UTC 2007

> Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:
>
>>> In that case, what do you see as the advantages of Thomas over Jonah?
>>
>> Well, besides the fact that I'd have to refactor all my websites if
>> Jonah no longer served news... ;)
>
> I assume that's an advantage of Jonah, not Thomas. :)
>
>> I think the danger here is in trying to make either of these apps an
>>  "all in one" solution for both serving content,
>> aggregating/reading,  and blogging.  I agree with your other post
>> though about a news reader  being too simple for one app.  I rarely
>> read news via Jonah, and when  I do, it's almost always in a
>> Horde_Block on my front portal page.
>>
>> I don't know, maybe I'm using Jonah in a way that it wasn't really
>> designed for?
>
> I think you are using it how Jan and I use it, and I think that's the
> most flexible/powerful part of feeds and syndicated content.
>
> It sounds like Thomas could be a frontend for Jonah, which would be
> fine with me, but it would be nice to have the core blog-like
> functionality (trackbacks, tags, etc.) localized in one app. And I'd
> personally prefer that to be Jonah.

I agree, if we pick one app, I would prefer Jonah as well. I hadn't
thought of Thomas being a different front end though..could almost be
just an alternate View of Jonah...but then that begs the question,
what would Thomas add other than what could be accomplished by using
different templates in Jonah?

Thanks,
mike

--