[dev] Ansel thumbnail choices?

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Sun Oct 28 13:32:05 UTC 2007

Looking for some input here...I'm trying to decide if it would be a
good idea to allow the users to select thumbnail style on a per
gallery basis or not.

I'm thinking there could be cases where users would want the older
style thumbnails (such as galleries that are being used as a source
for news articles, or for galleries that are feeding other websites in
some capacity or other.  As an example, I feed a personal "artsy"
black & white photography site with Ansel, and while *I* don't have a
problem with the thumnails being rounded on that site, I could see
cases where that would not be wanted.  So, I'm thinking that if the
installation can handle pretty thumbs, we show an additional pref for
each gallery to turn on or off the pretty thumbs.

The other point - and this is just thinking aloud for the moment - is
that (in the future) I was thinking of making available other "pretty"
thumbnails to choose from, like Polaroid looking images, with the
image title overlayed on the bottom white border of the image. Some
issues I can forsee with this though, are how to store the different
generated thumbs. Currently, we can keep an old style 'thumb' view and
a newer style 'prettythumb' view to allow Ansel to degrade well with
older browsers or when using jpegs.  I would be hesitant to continue
introducing different views with each added choice...so the only other
choice - if we wanted to do this - would be that once a gallery is
changed from one pretty view to another, the cached prettythumbs would
have to be regenerated.  Like I said, just thinking aloud, and this
one might be a bit too far for current code, but it's cool to think
about multiple sytles of pretty thumbnails to choose from, no?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
mike

--