[dev] Ansel thumbnail choices?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sun Oct 28 14:01:02 UTC 2007

Zitat von Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:

> Looking for some input here...I'm trying to decide if it would be a
> good idea to allow the users to select thumbnail style on a per
> gallery basis or not.
>
> I'm thinking there could be cases where users would want the older
> style thumbnails (such as galleries that are being used as a source
> for news articles, or for galleries that are feeding other websites
> in  some capacity or other.  As an example, I feed a personal
> "artsy"  black & white photography site with Ansel, and while *I*
> don't have a  problem with the thumnails being rounded on that site,
> I could see  cases where that would not be wanted.  So, I'm thinking
> that if the  installation can handle pretty thumbs, we show an
> additional pref for  each gallery to turn on or off the pretty thumbs.

That sounds like a good idea. I agree that pretty thumbnails really
make sense with photographs only, not with stuff like screen shots etc.
Would be much easier if we don't had galleries in shares. ;-)

> The other point - and this is just thinking aloud for the moment -
> is  that (in the future) I was thinking of making available other
> "pretty"  thumbnails to choose from, like Polaroid looking images,
> with the  image title overlayed on the bottom white border of the
> image. Some  issues I can forsee with this though, are how to store
> the different  generated thumbs. Currently, we can keep an old style
> 'thumb' view and  a newer style 'prettythumb' view to allow Ansel to
> degrade well with  older browsers or when using jpegs.  I would be
> hesitant to continue  introducing different views with each added
> choice...so the only other  choice - if we wanted to do this - would

Why? This doesn't sound like a too bad solution for me.

> be that once a gallery is  changed from one pretty view to another,
> the cached prettythumbs would  have to be regenerated.  Like I said,
> just thinking aloud, and this  one might be a bit too far for
> current code, but it's cool to think  about multiple sytles of
> pretty thumbnails to choose from, no?

Absolutely. Go, Michael! :-)

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/