[dev] Ansel / Horde_Image_Effect and image format choice.

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Mon Oct 29 14:11:21 UTC 2007

> Quoting Michael Rubinsky <mike at theupstairsroom.com>:
>
>> Yea, I toyed around with some sort of background setting, but kept
>> getting stuck on dealing with different theme choices...if we let
>> Ansel - or even individual galleries - specify some of the theme
>> settings then that would solve a whole host of issues.
>>
>> It _does_ seem like it would be a huge undertaking though...
>
> If we start out with just specifying some simple styles for the actual
> image display area, I think this is manageable. I'm not saying that
> all possible colors would look _good_ here - especially with, say, the
> Barbie theme - but we could offer foreground and background color
> settings and go from there (like of like how iPhoto lets you pick the
> background color of your images, but the "chrome" of the rest of the
> app is unchanged).

OK. Just to make sure we are both on the same page, your talking about
being able to specify the background color of the gallery view (which
would match the background color of any generated jpeg images that
need 'transparency'). and the foreground color for text?  Maybe by
creating some 'named' styles for the user to pick from?

How would this affect images being retrieved through the api then?
Should we still resort to our 'old' style then?  My concern would be
specifying a style, say a blue background, which results in jpegs
being created for the thumbs with a blue background...if these are
then retrieved via the api, or viewed in an article in Jonah, then how
should we handle that?

> And I think this is worth it.

Absolutely!

Thanks,