[dev] Ansel Galleries / Shares

Michael Rubinsky mike at theupstairsroom.com
Sun Nov 25 15:10:31 UTC 2007

Quoting Duck <duck at obala.net>:

> On Saturday 24 of November 2007 22:31:58 Michael Rubinsky wrote:
>> I'm starting to look at moving the gallery data out of the DT...I was
>> wondering what the thought was about still maintaining Shares for the
>> galleries at all.  I can see advantages both ways, but if we are
>> willing to go the "public or private only" route with galleries it
>> would certainly speed things up by removing the datatree *totally*
>> from Ansel since we wouldn't be looking at the Perms system at
>> all...just a public flag in the gallery table.
>>
>> It's really just a thought at this point and I'm really leaning
>> towards keeping them, but was curious what others thought.
>
> Agree, public and private will be enough. I will just add "closed by
> password".

We actually discussed this more on IRC, and after talking it over with
Chuck, I've come to realise that keeping Shares is a must. While I'm
sure we can all agree there would be performance benifits (at least
with current Share code) to keeping shares out of Ansel, let me just
paraphrase what was said - Shares is a pretty "core" concept to Horde
and it's what will help differentiate Ansel from other similar apps.
Keeping the shares allows Ansel to more tightly integrate with the
other groupware apps, allowing setting permisssions per group, user
etc....

Thanks,
mike

--