[dev] [cvs] commit: genie list.php genie/config types.php.dist genie/lib Driver.php Genie.php genie/templates/item item.inc genie/templates/list item_headers.inc items.inc

Duck duck at obala.net
Fri Nov 30 11:55:57 UTC 2007

On Friday 30 of November 2007 11:38:16 Jan Schneider wrote:
> >   Add basic item type definition
>
> It's good that we finally have a way to specify product types at all,
> though I wonder if we could come up with a solution that doesn't
> require yet another configuration file. Prefs come to mind. They are
> not optimal because you end up loading the prefs for any user that you
> display the wishlist for. But it's still the most flexible solution,
> and we can't provide hashes with conf.xml.
>
> Then again I wonder if the types are necessary at all, since you could
> do the same with categories which already work fine with a mixed user
> environment.

Users tends to describe their data in tons of strange ways. So later it will
be hard to analyze data, if we will allow users to manage types. For the
marketing aspect is better to define people type in a clear way to find
correct advertisement. So I wont let users to change types. And if we have
the control over it, we can even do something in the way of having the system
know how to handle a standard list of product types. For example, a book
should get its ISBN number in the product_id field and we can call Groo to
get book data. And I don't know how to do specify this hooks in way other
than a configuration file. As lest for  now I will leave it as it is.

BTW you don't need the types configuration file. If is not present it will
fall back to “Other” like it was hardcoded before.

Duck