[dev] Audit trailing in Hermes

Manilal Krishnapillai manilal.krishnapillai at ejyothi.com
Fri Jan 4 06:11:44 UTC 2008

> Quoting Vinay Kumar <vinay.kumar at ejyothi.com>:
>
>>      Sorry for the delayed response, since we were busy with some
>> client projects and vacation. We have throughly examined the pros and
>> cons of the two methods for audit trail. We think that a separate
>> table for audit trail may make more sense, because the audit
>> information is  normally required by the admins/reviewers and the
>> normal users may not be interested in the audit log.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> Following is the structure of the log table
>>
>> 1. log_id
>> 2. User ID
>> 3. Module -- timeslice/jobtype/deliverable
>> 4. action -- add/update/delete/select
>> 5. log description
>> 6. previous data (serialized)
>> 7. current data (serialized)
>> 8. Modified Timestamp
>
> Aside from Jan's concern, my only question is if searching of audit
> data is ever needed. If so, the serialized format might be a bad idea
> - though it's definitely easier for storing multiple kinds of data,
> and we could make this a general component that's night tied to Hermes
> with the above model.

The audit trail search may be a problem if we use the serialized data,
but otherwise we have to create separate log tables for the timeslice,
deliverables and jobtype. I think that serialized format is better
than having separate tables. Is there any better solution for this
issue ?

Manilal K M,
Systems Manager,
Ejyothi Services,