[dev] [cvs] commit: genie item.php wishlists.php genie/lib Genie.php base.php genie/po genie.pot sl_SI.po genie/templates/wishlists shared.inc

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Jan 17 14:30:25 UTC 2008

Quoting duck at obala.net:

>> - there is a set of standard data that should be stored as real
>> fields, and additional fields (custom share attributes) can be a
>> serialized text field. I think the list is name, owner, and the
>> permissions, but I might be missing one or two.
>>

> You are missing "desc". Altrough I think that serialization is not
> good here. At first you will be force to actually load all the data
> and check permissions inside php, better are the current DT
> attributes.

Only additional fields would be serialized. Permissions would not be,
so why would we have to load all the data?

Second: you will loose the ability to search shares by
> attributes. Altrough I didn't see that is used anywhere. What is the
> meaning here? To not force admins to create dedicated tables?

Personally, I think that if you are using the share system to store
custom share attributes that you want to be able to search on, then
you are storing too much data in the share object, it should go into
dedicated tables. Otherwise, we are back where we started, with having
to join an attributes table along with the more general share data.

Thanks,
mike

--
The Horde Project (www.horde.org)