[dev] Help links

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sat Jan 26 20:24:20 UTC 2008

>>> But I don't think the proposed solution would really help. For one,
>>> you need internet access. This might not be an issue on the first
>>> sight, but having access to the horde server on the intranet doesn't
>>> automatically mean that the users have internet access too.
>>
>> Well, it could be a local wiki - thus customizable by a local install
>> if desired. We could build default help data files and ship them with
>> the help wiki.
>>
>> I'm not 100% sold on it but I do think it's workable, and having the
>> help system locally editable seems nice.
>
> My concern is, that people would actually use this, instead of
> contributing back by improving the current help texts. There have
> already been many user guides on local sites in the past that never
> got back to us.

Since this is already the situation, I'm not sure that's a reason to
not go the wiki route - we could have reporting tools for the help
wiki that would let people easily submit contributions if we really
wanted. Do you think that gettext is going to work better for this,
and for inducing help contributions?

I think maybe the best thing to get people to contribute to the help
text would be for us to have more of it in the first place.

-chuck