[dev] Help links

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sun Jan 27 10:50:34 UTC 2008

>>> Well, it could be a local wiki - thus customizable by a local install
>>> if desired. We could build default help data files and ship them with
>>> the help wiki.
>>>
>>> I'm not 100% sold on it but I do think it's workable, and having the
>>> help system locally editable seems nice.
>>
>> My concern is, that people would actually use this, instead of
>> contributing back by improving the current help texts. There have
>> already been many user guides on local sites in the past that never
>> got back to us.
>
> Since this is already the situation, I'm not sure that's a reason to
> not go the wiki route - we could have reporting tools for the help
> wiki that would let people easily submit contributions if we really
> wanted. Do you think that gettext is going to work better for this,
> and for inducing help contributions?

No just for translations. As Duck mentioned, a lot of help
translations are out of date, even for translations that are updated
regularly.

I don't say that wiki pages won't help. I just don't want to see them
used exlusively. Beside that, having the help in the wiki doesn't help
with translations *at all*. I even think it will have the opposite
effect.

> I think maybe the best thing to get people to contribute to the help
> text would be for us to have more of it in the first place.
>
> -chuck

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/