[dev] Checking Joomla templates

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Sat Mar 8 16:21:04 UTC 2008

Quoting dim corso <dimcorso at yahoo.com>:

>  We'll have a abstract renderer which can render the default zones,
> but this class may be extended in each app in order to render some
> other custom zones.

So people need to write classes to modify the UI? Or can they just
write new templates?

>  So. What and scrip of an app have to do before renders the interface?
>      the same they do actually. Load the variables needed by the
> .inc files. this .inc files will contiue being usefull because this
> is the way in wich an app defines the content of a zone in a layout.
>  So we can sustitute this part of the scripts :
>
>          require NAG_TEMPLATES . '/common-header.inc';
>          require NAG_TEMPLATES . '/menu.inc';
>          require NAG_TEMPLATES . '/tasklists/tasklists.inc';
>          require $registry->get('templates', 'horde') . '/common-footer.inc';
>
>  with something like this:
>
>      //the contents of the left block
>     $GLOBALS['content']['left'] = array('left','left1');
>
>      //renders the interface
>        Horde_Flex::Render('nag');
>
>  the framework may most have a folders in which the layout.htm files
> most be placed in order to load them dinamically.
>
>  Well. Need more details? How do you see that?

If you want me to endorse the idea, then yes, I need more details. :)
Again, if you want to do it, well go for it and we'll see where it
goes. But from my perspective:

- you need to read the Horde coding standards
(http://www.horde.org/horde/docs/?f=CODING_STANDARDS.html) to get the
object design consistent with Horde.

- using globals is pretty hackish - needs to be a better way of
defining whatever it is you're defining there

- I'd like to see a complete example, however small

-chuck