[dev] My Ansel tasks 2

duck at obala.net duck at obala.net
Thu Mar 13 15:44:14 UTC 2008

After I added patches to bug-tracker for the 5 tasks mentioned last
week, I am coming with 4 more. Here are my issues that I am going to
provide patches for after your comments.

- Comments
Ansel currently query Agora on the fly to get the number of comments
per image. Even using bash methods, I am falling in timeouts. Having
3,839,465 comments on 2,981,787 images. The only solution is to use
the callback function to notify Ansel and store the number of comments
per image after a comment post/delete. So we get the number of
comments directly from the same images selection.

- Last comments on my data
Here I will extend Agora the get the last comments an user owned data
directly from the storage. Any other bashing will be too expensive
when dealing with large number of data. This feature will be useful
even in any other app. For example user can adds block on his portal
to monitor if any of his data is commented.

- Categories
Its nice to allow user to customize its categories. But in a large
user environment makes categorizing data impossible. I know that I can
lock the preference, but for performance issues I will like to see
categories being Ids instead of string. As ids won't change if the
administrator sets them. Allowing to have much faster selects and
smaller data. And categories names can be translated.

- Locked tiles
We are duplicating the code in several places to load user identities
and get the tile names. I will combine them and add an option honor
the locking of tiles preference. As if it is locked, only the user
names are used and we create the Identity object and query the db
twice per each user to loads its prefs for nothing.

Duck