[dev] My Ansel tasks 2

Michael Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Mar 13 16:45:36 UTC 2008

Quoting duck at obala.net:

> After I added patches to bug-tracker for the 5 tasks mentioned last
> week, I am coming with 4 more. Here are my issues that I am going to
> provide patches for after your comments.
>
> - Comments
> Ansel currently query Agora on the fly to get the number of comments
> per image. Even using bash methods, I am falling in timeouts. Having
> 3,839,465 comments on 2,981,787 images. The only solution is to use
> the callback function to notify Ansel and store the number of comments
> per image after a comment post/delete. So we get the number of
> comments directly from the same images selection.

Sounds reasonable, though I'd have to see the implementation....and
that's a *lot* of images :)

> - Last comments on my data
> Here I will extend Agora the get the last comments an user owned data
> directly from the storage. Any other bashing will be too expensive
> when dealing with large number of data. This feature will be useful
> even in any other app. For example user can adds block on his portal
> to monitor if any of his data is commented.

So you see a new Agora block containing last comments on any user
owned resource?  Sounds good...

> - Categories
> Its nice to allow user to customize its categories. But in a large
> user environment makes categorizing data impossible. I know that I can
> lock the preference, but for performance issues I will like to see
> categories being Ids instead of string. As ids won't change if the
> administrator sets them. Allowing to have much faster selects and
> smaller data. And categories names can be translated.

Not sure without looking more, but is this possible while maintaining
BC with all other Horde apps?

> - Locked tiles
> We are duplicating the code in several places to load user identities
> and get the tile names. I will combine them and add an option honor
> the locking of tiles preference. As if it is locked, only the user
> names are used and we create the Identity object and query the db
> twice per each user to loads its prefs for nothing.

I think I know what you mean here, but I'm a little fuzzy on what you
mean by "locking of tiles preference".  What preference are you
referring to?

Thanks,
mike

--