[dev] PAM auth problem

Martin Fraser mdf at darksnow.net
Mon May 19 12:02:26 UTC 2008

After I posted this I got round the problem by using LDAP auth, but I've
decided to revisit this.

What I've found is that I have a PHP5 extension called php_auth running
fine. The Auth/pam.php file is looking for an extension called "pam" and
not finding it loaded. I install the pam development package (I'm using
Debian stable) and used pecl to install pam, on loading the new pam.so
in the php.ini file apache won't start, saying the funtion names are
already registered.

I take it this means the pam and pam_auth extensions cannot both be used
at the same time. Is there any reason for this as they both seem to
offer the same services and the pam_auth extension is loadable by me
through apt-get rather than compiling my own pam.so.

This is an annoyance to me more than a problem but I thought it might
effect other Debian users so would appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks.

Martin...