[dev] PAM auth problem

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu May 22 02:07:43 UTC 2008

Quoting Martin Fraser <mdf at darksnow.net>:

> After I posted this I got round the problem by using LDAP auth, but I've
> decided to revisit this.
>
> What I've found is that I have a PHP5 extension called php_auth running
> fine. The Auth/pam.php file is looking for an extension called "pam" and
> not finding it loaded. I install the pam development package (I'm using
> Debian stable) and used pecl to install pam, on loading the new pam.so
> in the php.ini file apache won't start, saying the funtion names are
> already registered.
>
> I take it this means the pam and pam_auth extensions cannot both be used
> at the same time. Is there any reason for this as they both seem to
> offer the same services and the pam_auth extension is loadable by me
> through apt-get rather than compiling my own pam.so.

Well if they offer the same PHP functions of course they can't be used
at the same time - they export the same symbols. I'm a bit removed
from my C programming, but that's the level this issue is at - way too
late at the Horde level to do anything about it.

However, if php_auth.so (or is it pam_auth.so?) provides the same
functionality (with the same arguments and semantics) that pam.so
does, then we could check for either one. I'd be strongly against this
if the only issue is that debian renames the library, btw - that's a
horrible thing to do and Debian should fix that if that's the case.
But if this is a new extension that's maintained - I seem to recall
that the pam extension isn't maintained anymore - that's fine. Do you
have a URL for the pam_auth extension?

-chuck